If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: it's cold out, the use of both cocoa powder AND coffee gives this chili a dark richness - as in, the warming effect of hot chocolate and the perky effect of caffeine. —Lan | MoreStomach
- 1 splash olive oil, enough to coat the pan/pot
- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight and cooked approx 2 hours, until al dente
- 1 cup dried chickpeas/garbanzo beans, soaked overnight, cooked in crockpot on high for appox 2-3 hours, until al dente
- 1 cup dried navy beans, soaked overnight, cooked appox 2-3 hours, until al dente
- 1 large ripe tomato, rough chopped, a can of whole tomatoes is fine
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onoin, diced
- 3 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced
- 2 teaspoons heaping, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon more or less, smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 cups strong black coffee
- 1-2 cups leftover cooked bean liquid (or water or stock is fine)
- salt/pepper to taste
- one of the things that i’ve learned from watching cooking shows and competitions: season well! for every layer of vegs that i add to the pot, i sprinkle in salt & pepper.
- in a big pot, heat olive oil at medium high heat. add in the diced onion and saute until translucent. next add in the other vegs, being sure to season between layers and allowing each veg proper saute time. you’re building flavors, don’t skimp.
- add in the dry seasonings and mix thoroughly.
- pour in liquids, coffee and bean liquid (or water), bring to a boil. lower temp to gentle simmer and cook until beans are soft, up to 45 min – an hour.
- *if using canned beans, don’t add the beans until the final 30 minutes. but do allow the other vegs to simmer in the liquids.*
- this is even better the next days when all the spices mingled and got merry.
- serve with toast, sometimes i added diced avocado if i was feeling fancy, other times, i ate it simply.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Made with Coffee