If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Makes 1, 12 cup bundt cake
for the cake
- 3-4 blood oranges, zest and juice
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
for the glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons blood orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 6 drops orange bitters
- Position the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F degrees. Meanwhile, prepare a 12 cup bundt pan or cake pan with butter and a thin dusting of flour. Set aside.
- Using a microplane, finely zest three of the blood oranges and then juice them. You will need 1/2 cup. Juice the 4th orange if needed. Juice the lemons too. You will need 1/4 cup.
- Combine the flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until just mixed.
- Beat the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium high speed. Once the eggs are well combined, slowly add in the sugar. Beat until the mixture is nice and thick. Change to a low speed, alternate adding in the dry ingredients and the olive oil. Finally add in the yogurt, bourbon, orange juice, and zest, whisk for a couple seconds more just until everything is incorporated. Don’t overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, leaving about 1 inch empty at the top. Bake for 30-40 minutes. The cake is done when a cake tester comes out with a few crumbs still clinging. Transfer to a wire rack and cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then carefully remove from the pan and complete cooling on the wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze. Sift the powdered sugar through a sieve to remove any lumps and place in a medium bowl. Whisk in the orange juice, bourbon, and bitters. Stir in the the zest. Add more sugar if the glaze is too runny, add more juice if it is too thick.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, drizzle with the glaze.
More Great Recipes: Cakes