If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Flavorful gumbo with seasoned chicken and sausage, onion, garlic, celery and carrots served over rice and topped with scallions. —Vicky | Things I Made Today
- 1 1/2 cups white rice, dry
- 2 tablespoons 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Cook rice according to package instructions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Season chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper and add to Dutch oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through. Transfer to plate and set aside. Once cooled, shred with two forks.
- Add ¼ cup olive oil to Dutch oven. Add sausage and cook until nicely browned on both sides, about 4-6 minutes. Transfer sausage to plate.
- To the oil, whisk in flour to make roux. Keep stirring for about 3-4 minutes, until roux browns and smells nutty. If it seems too dry add a little bit more olive oil.
- Stir in onion, garlic, carrots, and celery. Mix to coat and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, water, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cover for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in Sriracha and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and thyme sprigs. Serve gumbo over rice topped with scallions.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You're Most Proud Of