If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A couple of weeks ago while having lunch with GiGi26 I ordered a bowl of corn and crawfish chowder and loved it. I hadn't had corn chowder in a long time and decided that it was time to make some. I took the spicy andouille route.... —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: This Cajun Corn Chowder is a tasty soup, I'd definitely make it again. It’s rich and creamy, with a nice heat from the andouille and cayenne that’s offset by the sweetness of the corn. The cook time probably needs shortened, as the directions yielded somewhat mushy potatoes, even when using a waxy red. I think you could also amp up the corn flavor by making a corn broth (with the cobs) instead of the chicken broth. —Timothy Donley
Makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided (1/1)
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, diced small
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( or less if you prefer )
- 2 to 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 medium red-skinned potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups rich chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup half and half or light cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced green onion for garnish
- Heat one teaspoon of the oil in a 4-quart soup or sauce pot. Add the diced andouille and sauté until lightly browned. Remove from the pot.
- In the same pot, add the second teaspoon of oil along with the onion, poblano and cayenne. Saute over medium heat until the vegetables soften.
- Add the corn, potatoes, and chicken broth. Bring up to a boil and then down to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Whisk in the cornmeal, one tablespoon at at time and return the andouille to the pot. Simmer for a few more minutes. The chowder will thicken. Stir in the half and half or cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm garnished with the green onion slices.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pan Dinner