If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This satisfying, protein-packed kale salad draws inspiration from North African flavors. Crispy chickpeas spiced with warm cumin, coriander and smoky paprika are the perfect mate for a tangy yogurt dressing and hearty kale. These chickpeas are addicting - I always make a double batch and have them on hand for snacking (or they also make a killer vegetarian taco filling). —Asha Loupy
Serves 3 - 4
For the dressing
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 serrano chile, seeds & veins removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 bunch chives
For the salad
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 4 cups curly kale, shredded
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the ground cumin, coriander, fennel, smoked paprika, cinnamon and salt and stir to combine. Add the drained chickpeas and olive oil and toss to evenly coat.
- Spread the spiced chickpeas in an even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring halfway through, until crispy and golden brown, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- To assemble, toss kale with your desired amount of dressing in a large serving bowl. Top with warm spiced chickpeas, red onions and avocado, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You're Most Proud Of