If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A wonderfully fresh raw salad that can be made in almost any season. Other herbs could be substituted for the parsley, other greens for the collards (although collards keep their shape very well), etc. Cooked beans, lentils and/or grains could be added for extra bulk to make a more complete meal.
Inspired by the Raw Veggie Salad in Ottolenghi's "Plenty More." —chocolatea
Serves 4, as a main, 8 as a side dish
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from the juiced lemon)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar (or other mild vinegar)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or other mild oil)
- 1/2 cup shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 cups cauliflower tiny florets (1 medium head, torn into very small florets)
- 1 cup radishes, thinly sliced (1 bunch)
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped roughly
- 3 cups collard greens, thinly sliced
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- Make dressing: Whisk together lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, oil, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Toss together cauliflower florets, sliced radishes, sliced collard greens, parsley, peas (if frozen can be left frozen, they'll defrost in a few minutes), and capers in a large bowl.
- Add dressing to vegetables and toss thoroughly. Taste for additional salt, pepper or vinegar. Best if it sits for an hour or so before eating. Keeps well for a few days in refrigerator.