If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My love of fig newtons made me create this recipe. —Judy at My Well Seasoned Life
Makes a few dozen
- 1 cup a heaping cup of dried figs
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of orange
- 2 ounces bacon fat
- 2 ounces butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked
- Bacon Fat: Bake bacon in the oven until crispy. Strain bacon fat into a plastic container and freeze until solid. Cool bacon strips and chop to small dice for garnish of bars.
- Dough: Whip bacon fat, butter and sugar in a bowl until incorporated. Add egg white, zest, vanilla and beat until smooth. Add flour and mix until just incorporated. Don’t over mix. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours or more
- Filling: Cut off stems of figs and chop. Put figs, apple juice, water, sugar in pan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook for one and a half to two hours. The liquid should be thick, gooey but still syrupy. Let cool to room temperature. Place figs in food processor, add orange zest and blend until a smooth paste is formed. The filling should be spreadable. If too thick add some apple juice.
- Assembly: Roll chilled dough to approximately 12 inch by 16 inch (or 14 inch) rectangle. Roll as thin as possible. Cut the long end of the dough into 4 inch strips. Spread a quarter of the fig filling in the middle of each strip. There should be an inch of dough, an inch of filling and an inch of dough. Fold ends of dough over the filling and pinch to seal. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the strips of fig filled strips very gently on parchment. Cut to bit sized pieces. Chop bacon strips and sprinkle on top of cookies. Bake in a 350 oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dried Fruit