Author Notes: I have always loved this dish ever since I was a little girl. I still enjoy it to this day and even more so that I can prepare it in many different ways.
This dish consists of 1 layer of cooked meat, 1 layer of veggies (approx. 3 cups) and 1 layer of creamy mashed potatoes. I can do it with sweet potatoes or regular ones, I can use different meats (beef, chicken, turkey,…) and choose whichever veggies I have at hand. It can be prepared up to a day in advance and reheated just before serving…. Exactly what I need when I am swamped with kids after school activities and homework! —Virginie Degryse
russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
pound ground beef
cup peas, cooked ( I used frozen ones)
cup milk, heated up
tablespoons melted butter
teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes in water, bring to boil and cook until soft enough to mash.
- Meanwhile sauté the shallot with some grapeseed oil for 2-3 minutes and add the meat. Add some salt and pepper and place into a baking dish when cooked all the way through
- Add the veggies layer on top of it.
- When potatoes are cooked, mash with a ricer and add milk, butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste and combine with a wooden spoon. Finish the shepherd pie with the layer of the mash potatoes.
- The dish can be prepared up to one day in advance and reheated when needed, for 25-30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Et voila, Bon Appétit!