If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Somen Salad is a cold noodle salad that usually is studded with omelette, char shu, and fish cake. This salad is so popular with folks that if you go to a 7-11 in Hawaii, you can find pre made cartons of it in the deli section! My version has chicken breast, I roasted and shredded, Maui Gold pineapple, gorgeous French butter radishes, and I even crisped up the chicken skin for a crunchy bit of texture (think gluten free crouton!). I used the classic dressing. —Alexandra V. Jones
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
- 1/4 cup Seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1/2 lime, juiced.
- 1 pound dried somen noodles
- 2 skin, bone in chicken breast halves.
- 1/2 head romaine, shredded, iceberg is traditional, use it if you prefer.
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks, I use Maui gold pineapples whenever I find them.
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 3-5 depending on size, scallions thinly, sliced.
- 1 cup radishes, I used gorgeous French Butter variety, but you can sub in another veggie you like or that is in season.
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, use another herb if cilantro ain’t your thing
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper. Roast in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes or until juices run clear when you press a fork into the chicken. After it's done cover with foil for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and set aside if you are planning on pan frying to use as a garnish. Shred meat and set aside.
- Emulsify dressing ingredients with a hand blender or by using a whisk. Check salt levels and add a pinch if you think it needs it, you will have to use your "inner chef" to make that call. Refrigerate until salad is ready to serve.
- Prepare noodles,place in boiling for three minutes in salted water. Drain, and rinse with cold water. Put in a large bowl and refrigerate until ready to assemble the salad.
- Layer ingredients as you prefer or mix it all together and serve. If you want to try the crispy chicken skin, in a skillet over medium high heat, add a few drops of cooking oil, add skin, make sure you remove any fat or unsavory stuff off of the skin by scraping with a butter knife. Cook and few minutes and flip, making sure it is gold brown and crispy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Sesame