If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: While I can't claim to be a vegetarian, I do occasionally like a vegetarian meal. I threw this together after a workday--I had a lot of vegetables in the house and some brown rice in the freezer. The nice thing about this dish is that it can be a side dish (two side dishes?) with some roast chicken or a nice piece of sauteed fish, making it perfect for accommodating different dietary needs in a family. It's so good that I ate it all before I took a picture! —drbabs
Serves: 1-2 as main dish; 4 as side
pint brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
head broccoli, cut into florets; stems cut into 1" pieces
cup shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
cipollini onions (You can peel them after they're roasted.)--or other sweet onions, cut into quarters
cup olive oil (approximate)
salt and pepper
cups cooked brown rice
cup chopped chives or other fresh herb of your choice
juice of 1/2 lemon (I used Meyer)
a handful of toasted chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 and line a large cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with aluminum foil.
- Put all the vegetables in a large bowl. Pour over the olive oil and stir gently so that all the vegetables are coated in oil. Place them in a single layer on the cookie sheet.
- Generously salt and pepper the vegetables and place cookie sheet in the oven. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown. (Watch them as they brown so they don't burn.)
- Meanwhile make brown rice. (Whenever I make brown rice, I make a lot and freeze it in individual portions. Then I just have to reheat it.)
- To serve, place a scoop of rice on a plate and surround with vegetables. (Peel the cipollini onions before serving.) Squeeze lemon juice over the vegetables, adjust seasoning, sprinkle with chopped chives or other fresh herb, and sprinkle with nuts if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes