If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: OK, this is basically just Ramp Pesto, but I think adding the "Wild" makes it sounds a little more exciting. You can add a number of other greens to this recipe... I've tried basil (which didn't really work, for me), parsley (which made it a little milder) and arugula (which had a real snappy, spicy flavor). My friend Lola threw in a little spinach, but she's always trying to one-up me. So this is just the basic recipe... customize as you see fit. Also, use whatever nut you prefer. Some people love pine nuts, I tend to favor walnuts. Isn't this a great country? - saenyc —saenyc
Food52 Review: Fiery and bright, saenyc's pesto surprised us in a couple of ways: it's creamier than we expected it to be, despite a relatively small amount of olive oil and parmesan, and it has a lovely mild sweetness from the combination of the tender ramp bulbs and the walnuts. We added a fair amount of salt to balance and heighten the other flavors, and the juice of half a lemon. Amanda folded the pesto into some spaghetti with bacon and peas for dinner, with very happy results. - A&M —The Editors
bunch of ramps
cup walnuts (toasted)
cup olive oil (or 1/2 cup, you kind of have to eyeball it)
cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
a squirt of lemon
- Wash and cut off the leaves of the ramps.
- Optional step: blanche the ramp leaves in boiling water. Some say this makes the pesto more bright and vibrant. I think it's plenty beautiful either way.
- Chop the ramps and walnuts just a bit and put them in your food processor.
- Add most of the cheese (save a sprinkle for serving) and a good dash of salt and pepper.
- Pouring the olive oil in slowly, process contents until they combine and look, well... pesto-y.
- Taste for seasoning and add a good squirt of lemon.
- Use to top your favorite pasta, or grilled bread... and enjoy.
- Your Best Ramps Contest Winner!