Author Notes: I was inspired by a dish I once ate at a Turkish restaurant. It was very delicate, and stayed in my mind for many years. It was sweet, smokey, light, and ethereal: by far the best eggplant dish I've ever had. —Naomib
Peeled and finely chopped Garlic Cloves
teaspoon Sea Salt
tablespoon finely chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place eggplants in the oven until collapsed. Depending on the vegetables' size this may take 30-45 minutes.
- Once completely soft, remove from oven and let cool until temperatures are comfortable for handling.
- Cut each eggplant in half. Cut and discard stem. With a teaspoon thoroughly remove seeds. Scrape the flesh out of the skin. Place seedless, skinless eggplants in a bowl.
- Add chopped garlic, the lemon juice and sea salt.
- Using a hand immersion blender, puree all ingredients together until the eggplant reaches a very fine, smooth texture.
- Garnish with finely chopped parsley. Serve on its own, or with warm, fresh pita bread wedges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Eggplant Recipe