Author Notes: In the spring and summer, I like to grill every part of a meal if I can. When friends told me they had tried grilled salad, I couldn't wait to make it. This simple Caesar salad comes together in minutes: The lettuce and baguette are grilled for a nice charred flavor, and the super easy dressing uses ingredients you probably already have at home. For a heartier meal, add sliced, grilled chicken. —Loves Food Loves to Eat
Food52 Review: WHO: Loves Food Loves to Eat works in tech marketing by day, but at night, she cooks, photographs, and spends time with her cat, Biscuit.
WHAT: Cold Caesar salad is so yesterday. Make your old faithful a little hotter with some time on the grill.
HOW: Whisk together a quick Caesar dressing. Grill romaine hearts and bread until charred and smoky. Serve warm, flooded with dressing.
WHY WE LOVE IT: It's barbecue season and your grill is already hot, so why not throw your salad on there, too? This comes together in a snap, and even without any anchovies or eggs in sight, the dressing gets plenty of punch from the lemon, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. —The Editors
Serves: 2 for a meal, 4 to 6 for a side
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 min
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
large lemon, juiced
to 2 cloves pressed garlic
cup fresh grated Parmesan
pinch salt and pepper, to taste
large (or 2 small to medium) romaine heart
baguette, halved lengthwise
- For dressing, whisk together everything except romaine and baguette. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat barbecue to medium to medium-high heat.
- Cut romaine heart(s) in half lengthwise. Brush the cut sides with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush baguette with olive oil.
- Place romaine and bread cut side-down on grill and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until charred but not overly wilted.
- Serve still warm. For presentation, serve romaine hearts whole, surrounded by bread, and dress to your liking. Or, slice lettuce crosswise and serve in a bowl, with sliced baguette and dressing.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Caesar Salad