If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There are things in life that just ought to be simple, and to my taste buds, French toast is one of them. Mine has only three ingredients, depending on the quality of the bread to carry the dish, and the quality of the accompanying butter and syrup to finish the dish to perfection. It is critically important to use good quality challah for French toast. I had no idea how important until I tried it the first time. I'll never go back. Fresh fruit is an acceptable add-on, but preserve me from cinnamon, confectioners sugar, and the like. - Kayb —Kayb
Food52 Review: There's nothing to making this French toast. But there is one thing that makes it exceptional: cream. KayB cuts to the chase, forgoing spices and extracts, and focussing instead on eggs, cream and challah. You whip together the eggs and cream, which form a custardy mixture, then dip the eggy bread into this custard -- make sure to gently squeeze the bread with your fingertips to draw the eggs and cream to the center—and fry them in butter. Outside is a crisp crepe-like shell. Inside, pudding. What are you waiting for? - A&M —The Editors
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 5 min
loaf challah bread
cup heavy cream
swoop of butter, for grilling and serving
splash Good maple syrup, for serving
- Slice challah into 3/4 to 1-inch thick slices.
- Whisk together eggs and cream.
- Heat a griddle or flat grill pan over medium high heat, and add 1 tbsp butter for every two pieces of French toast it will accommodate; swirl butter around to cover surface.
- Dip slice of bread in egg and cream; flip and repeat. Add to griddle, and grill until golden (approximately 90 seconds) on one side; flip and repeat.
- Serve with additional butter, if desired, and good quality maple syrup. The experience is enhanced with the addition of good quality smoked bacon.
- Your Best French Toast Contest Winner!