Author Notes: This is a light yet flavorful green bean salad. It is always a crowd pleaser. The recipes works equally well with grilled or roasted asparagus. —melissav
Serves 6-8 as a side
- 1 pound greens, trimmed and rinsed
- 3/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, cut into thin strips about 1 inch long
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pecorino cheese, grated
- Place the onion in a bowl along with the balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, blanch the green beans until crisp tender, about 3-4 minutes depending on whether you have skinny or fat green beans. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water. Once cool, drain and dry.
- Whisk the olive oil into the onions and vinegar.
- Add the roasted red peppers, olives, and green beans. Toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Go a little easy on the salt since the pecorino will add some salt. Top with the pecorino.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best String Bean Salad