If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This creamy dip comes together in minutes and works as either an entree or an appetizer (if you're the sharing type). Any cheese works, but my favorite is a combination of smokey gouda, melty monterey jack and sharp Parmesan. Inspired by the Green Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Full Belly Sisters (http://fullbellysisters.blogspot.com/2012/03/green-grilled-cheese-sandwich-spinach.html).
Read more at https://whateverpieces.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/avocado-spinach-dip/ —Stephanie H.
- 2 cups spinach, packed
- 1 avocado
- 2 ounces smoked gouda or cheddar
- 2 ounces Monterey jack or other melting cheese
- 1 ounce Parmesan
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce (I like Frank's)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or more to taste
- pinches black pepper
- salt, if necessary
- tortilla chips, for serving
- Add the spinach to the bowl of a food processor. (It helps to put the spinach in first so that the other ingredients weigh it down.) Place the cheese (cubed or shredded is fine) on top, holding back about 2 tablespoons. Add the seasonings other than the salt.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop the flesh into the food processor.
- Pulse the ingredients in the food processor until smooth, scraping down the sides of the work bowl as needed. Taste the dip and adjust seasoning–I recommend sampling it on a tortilla chip to check the salt levels. Add salt only if necessary.
- Scoop the dip into two 1-cup, ovenproof ramekins. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes until bubbling, or microwave for about 2 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Preheat the broiler and top the hot ramekins with the reserved cheese. broil 3-5 minutes until the cheese on top is bubbly and beginning to brown. Serve with chips.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Parmesan