If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hasselback potato, meet your new best friend garlic parmesan butter. These addicting potatoes take a little bit of work, but the buttery, cheesy, garlicky result is well worth the effort. The flavorful butter seeps into the potatoes so they are creamy and tender on the inside and the outside fanned slices get crispy and golden brown.
The first time I tried to make these, I had trouble slicing the potatoes and stopping before I hit the bottom of the potato. Then I learned a neat trick from Justin Chapple from Food & Wine Magazine...place the potato between two wooden chopsticks (you know the leftover disposable ones you have kicking around in your drawer from Chinese takeout) and they will stop your knife when you are slicing! —Asha Loupy
pounds large Yukon gold potatoes (about 6 – 8, depending on the size), scrubbed
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Garlic Parmesan Butter:
tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, finely grated
garlic cloves, minced
cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
teaspoons fresh lemon zest, finely grated
teaspoon sea salt
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- To prepare the potatoes, cut a thin slice off the bottom of the potato—so it doesn’t roll around—and place it between two chopsticks. Thinly slice the potato vertically, about every 1/8-1/4-inch, making sure not to cut all the way through the bottom of the potato (the chopsticks will stop your knife from cutting all the way through).
- Place the prepared potatoes about an inch apart on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush each potato with olive oil and season liberally with salt and black pepper. Roast for 30 minutes.
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the garlic parmesan butter: In a medium bowl, mix the softened butter, 1/2 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, garlic, parsley, rosemary, lemon zest, salt and black pepper until combined. Set aside.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven. Spread a spoonful of the garlic parmesan butter over each potato making sure to get some butter down in between the slices. Divide the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese equally over the top of each potato.
- Place the potatoes back in the oven and roast for another 35 to 45 minutes until the potatoes are tender inside and the tops are crispy and golden brown. Serve hot.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Parmesan