If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We recently joined a CSF (Community Supported Fishery) and decided to just simply stuff the whole haddock that we'd received with thyme and lemon, and throw it on the grill. It came out light and flavorful. - athoughtforfood —athoughtforfood
Food52 Review: If you can get your hands on a whole haddock (probably any whole white fish, actually), this is a lovely, summery way of preparing it. The herb and lemon flavors lightly suffuse the fish flesh, which also picks up just a hint of grill smokiness through the skin. Next time I might use a whole lemon, as the brightness of that flavor was so refreshing with the mild fish. I never manage to get the full fillet off the bones, but with a whole fish, picking bones out is just part of the fun! - fiveandspice —The Editors
pounds Haddock, Whole gutted and cleaned
Lemon, sliced into circles
Fresh herbs, thyme, parsley
Green onion (tops only), chopped
cup canola oil
Fresh ground black pepper
- Turn the grill on high heat. Meanwhile, lay the fish on a large tray or cutting board, and coat both sides of the fish with oil. Sprinkle generous amounts of salt and pepper on both sides. Stuff the cavity of the fish with the lemon, herbs, and green onion.
- Take the fish off the tray and place directly on grill and cook (roughly 10 minutes per inch), making sure to flip half way through the process. When done, transfer to a clean tray or board and remove the head. Move the body of the fish to serving platter.
- Remove the layer of skin on top. Using a serving spoon or metal spatula, find the top layer of bones, and serve the meat that lays above that. At this point, you should be able to remove the bones from the whole fish, leaving just the remaining meat on the platter.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Use of Lemon, Thyme and a Grill