For those who like to cook, each new season that arrives means a change in the available ingredients, a bit like the spring-summer or autumn-winter collections in fashion. And although my favorite season is autumn, I recognize that spring and summer are more generous when it comes to variety, especially in these first months when each visit to the market is almost a party. So, last Saturday, between asparagus and a couple of new onions, I also brought the first fava beans of the year.
You know how it is. You buy a bag full of pods and, after after threshed, you get a small bowl of fava beans. So I decided to make a very simple and healthy side dish: brown rice with fava beans. It´s a fluffy rice that you can reheat easily or even serve at room temperature, which makes it a good choice to take with you in the lunch box, for example.
This time I first thought about the side dish and only then about the dish itself. I ended making crumbed chicken breast, adding chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs. I also baked them in the oven. —Paula
- Serves 4
chicken breast, cut into fillets
parsley, finely chopped
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
fresh broad beans in pod
clove garlic, finely chopped
mint, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a pan, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the rice and fry a little, without gaining color. Add 2 cups of water and season with salt. When boiling, cover the pan and cook for 40-45 minutes. Keep the pan covered for 10 minutes, then stir the rice with a fork to loosen the grains.
- While the rice is cooking, season the chicken with juice of 1 lemon, salt and freshly ground pepper. Let it gain flavor for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Remove the fava beans from the pods.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the flour on a plate, the beaten egg in another and, in a third one, combine the parsley, parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Take a fillet and dry it with kitchen paper. Then coat it with flour, then egg and finally breadcrumbs, finally placing it on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining fillets. Drizzle a little olive oil over the crumbed chicken and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the oven, peel the fava beans. In a skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the fava beans, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Mix the rice with the fava beans and sprinkle with chopped mint. Serve with the crumbed chicken and 1 lemon cut into quarters.