If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This twist on a traditional caprese salad is an easy way to make something that looks special and fun for any occasion. —annaknitsetc
- 1 packet phyllo dough
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 piece garlic
- 3 pinches salt
- 1 tomato (I used heirloom)
- 1 piece mozzarella di bufala
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Prepare the infused olive oil mixture by placing a piece of crushed garlic in a bowl with your extra virgin olive oil. Prepare the phyllo dough by taking it out of the refrigerator and rolling it out on the counter top.
- With the long side of the dough parallel to you, cut the dough in half. The cut should be perpendicular to you. You don't have to cut all the dough, as you will only be using three pieces for the recipe.
- Place a piece of the dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the remaining dough with a dry towel. Phyllo dough dries out quickly so it is important that you cover your dough and work fast.
- Bush the olive oil mixture on to dough starting with the edges and working your way in.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt on top.
- Take a new piece of dough and layer it on top of the oiled piece. Bush with olive oil and sprinkle salt.
- Repeat step 7.
- Place another sheet of parchment paper on top the oiled and salted phyllo, and place a large baking dish on top to weigh down the dough.
- Bake for ten minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool. Break or cut into six pieces.
- Assemble the napoleon: place a slice of mozzarella on each plate. Layer with a slice of tomato, a piece of fresh basil, and a piece of the phyllo cracker.
- Repeat the layers, achieving two tiers.
- Garnish with a piece of fresh basil.
- You may add balsamic vinegar if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Mozzarella