Author Notes: Livin on the edge, this different take on an average bran muffin proves to be a winner! —mtlabor
Makes: 12 + muffins
cups bran cereal
dried ancho chiles
cup apple sauce
2 & 1/2
tablespoon baking soda
cups chocolate chips
cup brown sugar
In This Recipe
- Place the ancho chiles in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and steep for about 10 minutes or so. Drain the liquid and reserve 1 cup of the ancho water. Carefully mince about 2 or so of the ancho chiles and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine bran cereal, ancho water, and applesauce. Mix well and set aside. It should resemble a sort of mush, but trust me, there's tons of flavor there.
- Sift together the flour, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar, and baking soda until well combined. Stir in the honey, milk, and eggs. Then mix in the bran/applesauce mixture. Fold in desired amount of chocolate chips and minced ancho chiles.
- Grease a muffin tin and pour batter into muffin cups, filling about 2/3 of the way. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, or when toothpick comes out clean when placed in center of muffin. Let cool in muffin tin for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a nice pat of butter and drizzle honey on top, if desired.