If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Brown rice and quinoa topped with seared chicken breast, savory black beans, sliced avocado and salsa verde is an easy 30 minute meal.
—garlic and zest
- 1 organic chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup prepared chopped trinity mix (from the produce department) or 1/3 cup diced onion,1/3 cup diced green pepper, 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1 16 ounce jar salsa verde
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 8 ounce can black beans
- 1 10 ounce package of frozen quinoa and brown rice mix - or 1 1/4 cups prepared quinoa, or brown rice -- or a mixture of the two
- 1 avocado, sliced
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- In a small bowl mix together the cumin salt and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breasts with half of the spice mixture and set aside. In a skillet over medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Carefully add the chicken to the hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the same skillet over medium heat. Add a half cup of the trinity mixture and the diced jalapeño. Saute until vegetables are tender and slightly translucent. Stir in 1 1/4 cups of salsa verde (eyeball it). Add the chicken breasts back to the pan, cover tightly with lid and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 10 minutes until chicken breasts are cooked through.
- Meanwhile in a small pot over medium heat, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the other half of the trinity mixture. Saute until tender and slightly translucent. Stir in the black beans (liquid and all) and about 1/3 cup salsa verde. Heat to boil and reduce heat to a medium simmer, cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat the brown rice and quinoa mixture in the microwave according to package directions.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the quinoa between two bowls. Slice the chicken into 1/2" strips and place on top the the quinoa. Spoon black beans along one side of the chicken and a spoonful of the sauce from the chicken saute on the other side. Tuck a few wedges of avocado into the bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Serve.