If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A delicious, all natural, homemade alternative to store bought frozen boring tater tots. Made with Speck Alto Adige PGI, Parmesan cheese, and Italian herbs, these easy tots can be on the table in less than 20 minutes!
—Karrie / Tasty Ever After
- 2 large Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds), scrubbed and cleaned of all dirt
- 1/4 cup Speck ham, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- oil for frying
- Precook the potatoes by pricking each potato several times all over and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, or until a knife is easily inserted into center but not quite soft (can also precook/roast in a 400F degree oven for about 30-40 minutes). Set aside and let cool completely.
- Take cooled potatoes and peel the skins off (if desired) and shred on the large holes of a box grater. Place shredded potatoes in a large bowl, add Speck ham, flour, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix well with hands until mixture is thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Place 2 inches oil in a heavy bottomed, large pot over medium-high heat until oil reaches 350F degrees. While oil is heating, make the tots by taking a small scoop of the potato mixture and form into 1 inch long cylinders. Drop each tot into the hot oil, being careful not to overcrowd, and fry until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels or a paper towel lined plate. Serve immediately.