If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This gorgeous open-faced sandwich is loaded with farm fresh ingredients, smoked salmon and a crispy frizzled farm fresh egg.
—garlic and zest
for the vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
for the sandwich
- 2 slices whole wheat or multigrain bread
- 4 cups torn baby lettuces, such as frisbee, escarole, arugula, spring mix, Bibb
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 1/2 Haas avocado, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-4 eggs (depending on if you want 1 per sandwich or 2 - appetites vary)
- Sunflower sprouts, optional
- Pea sprouts, optional
- Other sprouts, optional
- In a small bowl combine the whole grain mustard, dijon, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify. Stir in the chopped herbs and set aside.
- Toast the bread. While bread is toasting, add 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing to the greens and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Line a dish with paper towels and set aside. Heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. When oil is very hot, but not quite smoking, add the eggs. Pan will sputter and hiss (so wear an apron and be careful). Tilt the pan slightly and use a spoon to scoop the hot oil and spoon it over the egg whites until they are fully cooked, use a spatula to transfer the eggs to the dish with paper towels to drain.
- Lay a piece of toast on each plate and mound 1/4 of the dressed greens onto the toast. Layer 2-3 slices of ripe tomato, followed by the smoked salmon and avocado slices. Mound the rest of the salad greens and top each plate with a frizzled egg. Garnish with sprouts if desired. This is a knife and fork "sandwich".