If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An easy side dish that's perfect for cookouts and barbecues! —garlic and zest
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 8 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery
- 1/2 cup julienned radishes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, seeded and halved
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers, chopped
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 lemon
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium bowl add the bulgur wheat and boiling water and cover tightly with saran wrap. Set aside for 15-20 minutes for the wheat to absorb the liquid.
- Meanwhile prep the vegetables and place them in a large bowl.
- Zest the lemon and place the zest in a small bowl. Juice the lemon — you should have about 1/4 cup — if not, juice another half of a lemon to equal 1/4 cup of juice. Add the garlic, parsley, salt, pepper oregano and red pepper. In a steady stream, whisk in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the bulgur wheat and fluff with a fork. If there is liquid left in the bottom of the bowl, strain it out. When the bulgur wheat has cooled to room temperature, add it to the chopped vegetables and toss to combine. Add about half of the dressing to the salad and toss until coated. Taste for seasoning. If it needs more dressing, add it by 1-2 tablespoons at a time. You don’t want the salad to be overly wet or goopy.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.