If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Panzanella is one of my favorite salads. Who doesn’t love a salad with bread cubes that sop up all the juicy goodness from the dressing?
This one was inspired by the sunshine yesterday – golden sunny beets, lemony sumac vinaigrette, zesty orange segments and parsley for a superfood boost. —Oat&Sesame
- 4 slices crusty multigrain bread, toasted and cubed into 1" pieces (about 2 cups)
- 4 4 medium golden beets, roasted, peeled and diced
- 4 oranges, peel and white pith removed, cut into segments
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pistachios, crushed
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Sumac (half to mix with the salad, half to top the salad)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sumac Vinaigrette Combine all the dressing ingredients into a container and blend well. This can be made ahead of time to allow flavors to develop.
- Salad Prep Preheat oven to 400F. Wrap beets in foil and roast for about 1 hour until tender. Peel and dice. Toast the bread slices, cut into cubes and set aside. Prepare all other ingredients and set aside.
- Salad Assembly Combine the beets, orange segments, sunflower seeds, herbs and spices in a large bowl. Toss with half of the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. If eating immediately, add the cubed bread and more dressing. Toss until the bread cubes are coated with dressing. Sprinkle the pistachios on top along with additional sumac, salt and pepper to taste.
- If making this ahead of time, toss with the bread cubes right before serving.