Author Notes: I love creamy salads without the cream. And this is one I make every year when the tomatoes in our garden are just ripening and the basil is fresh and warm from the sun.... Note: If you don't have the fresh herbs, you can substitute dried. —coffeefoodwritergirl
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1/4 a red onion (or about 4 chopped green onions)
- 1/3 cup feta cheese (sheep or cow's)
- 3 avocados
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinager
- 2 tablespoons e.v. olive oil
- salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 8 large basil leaves -- chopped
- small handful fresh oregano -- chopped
- Slice avocados into about 1/4 inch cubes. Set in bowl. Chop tomatoes a little bigger. Put in bowl as well. Chop red onion -- add to bowl. Mix with olive oil, basil, red wine vinegar, fresh oregano and salt and pepper. Stir all together until avocado, olive oil and feta mix together to create a nice creamy consistency around the tomatoes.
- Let sit for five to ten minutes and then serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Fresh Basil