If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tofu and Pork in Soy Sauce Vinaigrette, AKA in Manila, “Tokwa at Baboy” is a mainstay side dish for Arroz Caldo con Pollo (http://www.thechewinn-nova.com/filipino-arroz-caldo-con-pollo/). They go together like Buffalo Chicken Wings and Celery with Blue Cheese Dressing. —Gina--thechewinn-nova.com
- 1 pound pork shoulder, cut into half inch thick
- 2 pints water
- 4 extra firm or firm tofu squares, sliced into 4 pcs, (if you get firm tofu rectangles, found in most Asian stores, divide in half horizontally, then sliced into 8 pcs)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Kalamansi concentrate (Philippine lime @ Filipino grocery stores) or lime juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 minced or finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced in small pieces
- 1 cup cooking oil for frying tofu
- Place pork in a small sauce pan and add water. Let it boil on high heat, then turn down heat to medium. Let it boil for 20 minutes or until it is tender, add water if needed. Drain water and set aside in a bowl you'll use for serving.
- Drain liquid from tofu by pressing it with paper towel on both sides. Sliced tofu squares into four pieces. Roll pieces over flour, then shake it off to get rid of excess flour.
- Heat oil in a 10" skillet and place 6 pieces at a time. As it is browning on the side halfway in about 3 minutes, turnover the piece to brown the other side, for another 3 minutes. (It has to be crispy in order not to fall apart when soak in vinaigrette.)
- Transfer on cookie cooling racks on top of cookie sheet covered with paper towel to drain. Continue frying tofu in batches of 6 until all done.
- Meanwhile while frying, make soy sauce vinaigrette by combining soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, water, brown sugar and garlic in a small mixing bowl. Add sliced red onion to marinate, then transfer to the bowl with pork.
- As the cooked tofu cools off , start dividing the pieces in half and place in vinaigrette. After slicing the next batch of tofu, press the 1st batch on side of bowl to drain, set aside in a platter to make room for the next batch.
- After all has been marinated, moved back the drained tofu to the bowl and mix. Serves 6 as side dish for Arroz Caldo con Pollo. (http://www.thechewinn-nova.com/arroz-caldo-con-pollo/)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with Tofu