If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Making soup in the East Coast is almost a thing the moment cold breeze set in last winter 2015. It was the worst one I can remember specially up in Boston since we landed in NoVA (Northern Virginia--Inn-NoVA) in the 80s. This soup was a dare to make, thinking how the tofu will stand up to Asian sour flavor, not like the Chinese Hot & Sour soup but from tamarind. Oops, well I forgot that tofu blends well with any flavor thrown into the pot with it. —Gina--thechewinn-nova.com
- 1-1/2 cups dried shitake mushrooms
- 1 pint hot water, to soak the mushrooms in
- 1/2 cup roots of cilantro, shake off dirt, washed & cut into small pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pkgs sliced baby bella
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 pints water
- 2 pkgs Nasoya organic firm tofu or sq tofu from, cubed (big Chinese or Korean stores)
- 4 red Thai chilis or dried chilis (here*), cut diagonally
- 1 bundle of scallions, cut in 1” length
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled tamarind leaves, (@ big Chinese stores or here*)
- 2 Tbsps tamarind concentrate, (@ Indian/Chinese/big Korean stores or here*)
- 2 tsps Kosher salt
- 2 tsps grd black pepper
- 2 pkgs enoki mushrooms
- 2 juice and zests of lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Soak shitake mushrooms in hot water for at least 30 minutes in advance.
- Pound the cilantro roots, minced garlic and salt together into a paste in a mortar and pestle, set aside.
- Sauté baby bella in a skillet on medium low heat for about 10 minutes or until it’s tender to the touch. Set aside.
- Add cilantro roots paste, sauté for 1 minute. Remove from skillet and drain in a paper towel.
- In a big pot, pour the shitake mushrooms with soaking water plus 2 pints of water. Let it boil for 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the juice of limes and cilantro leaves. Allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot sprinkle with cilantro leaves and juice of half a lime for every bowl.
- Serves 4. ---*Here, online superstore.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with Tofu