Its sweet and sour with a little bit of heat from the chili. Let's make tofu seductive, I thought (realising that this might be a contradiction in terms). Serve with rice or flatbread.
Its sweet and sour with a little bit of heat from the chili. Let's make tofu seductive, I thought (realising that this might be a contradiction in terms). Serve with rice or flatbread.—morning glory
Food52 Review: I really enjoyed this dish and was surprised by the mix of flavors. The only thing that would have made this dish better would be the added spiciness: The sauce thickened in about 8 minutes, which didn't leave much time for the chilis to infuse their flavor. The pomegranate molasses added a really nice sweetness to the dish and the five-spice balanced it out. I would definitely make this dish again, though I'd simmer it for longer to get more heat out of the chilis, and sub chicken for tofu. —Angela
grams tofu [Editors' note: We used firm tofu.)
grams cooked beluga (black) lentils
grams tin of chopped tomatoes
tablespoon pomegranate molasses
tablespoon soy sauce
teaspoon chili powder
teaspoons five-spice powder
teaspoons ground coriander
bird's eye chilis
3 to 4
tablespoons vegetable oil
Mint or coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish
- Heat the oven to 180° C (356° F).
- Chop the aubergine into small chunks and place on a non-stick oven tray. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons oil and toss the aubergine until coated.
- Bake aubergine in the oven for 20 to 25 mins until softened and slightly crispy.
- Drain the tofu (it usually comes in a pack with liquid) and press with paper kitchen towels until as dry as possible. Cut into chunks.
- Fry the tofu pieces gently in 1 tablespoon oil, turning as required, until slightly golden on all sides.
- Put the pomegranate molasses, soy sauce, and chili powder into a bowl and mix. Add the tofu pieces and turn them in the marinade. Leave to soak while you prepare the sauce.
- Gently fry the chopped onion in 1 tablespoon of oil until it is softened. Add the spices and fry gently for a few minutes, adding a little water if necessary.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and the whole chilis, pierced with a sharp knife to release their flavor. Cook for ten minutes on a medium heat to reduce and thicken the sauce. Check for seasoning and add salt if required. Add the lentils and heat through.
- Add the eggplant and tofu to the sauce and then heat through over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded mint or chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves to garnish.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with Tofu