Author Notes: The sweetness of the watermelon compliments the acidity of the tomatoes and adds a nice textural contrast. I like to use Cherokee purple and small green zebras because of their colors, but I think any variety would look and taste great. The feta cheese provides the perfect salty bite and the orange zest brings out all the flavors. Mint, the perfect summer herb, adds an extra layer of freshness. —cucinettaNYC
baby seedless watermelon, cut into 1 inch rounds
tablespoon orange zest
tablespoon good quality fruity olive oil, plus more to drizzle
cups assorted heirloom tomatoes - various colors and shapes
ounces crumbled Greek feta
salt and pepper to taste
mint leaves, cut into chiffonade strips
- Place orange zest in 1 tablespoon of olive oil and let it infuse.
- Next, using a 3 inch cookie/biscuit cutter, cut out 6 rounds from the watermelon slices. Place rounds in refrigerator to keep cool and crisp. You will have extra watermelon which you can cut up and store for future use.
- Cut tomatoes into chunks and place in bowl and add zest with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- To plate, remove watermelon rounds from refrigerator and place one round on each plate. Top watermelon round with tomatoes (about 1/3 cup per person). Sprinkle feta and mint on top of tomato and watermelon. At this point you may want to drizzle some more oil and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Using Heirloom Tomatoes