If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For this recipe you’ll be using fresh micro-greens, instead of lettuce. While some types of lettuce are rich in vitamins, I would highly recommend avoiding iceberg lettuce. Iceberg not only rates poorly in nutrient content, but it can accumulate toxic metals such as cadmium. Iceberg lettuce is most commonly found in prepared salads, if possible try switching it out for a darker leafy green. Micro-Greens are considered the newest superfoods because of their antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification properties. My Favorite micro-green is the bull’s blood beets. Tender and sweet with a beet-like flavor, these micro-greens produce beautiful deep red and purple shoots topped with rich green and red colored leaves.
Once you’ve picked out a type of micro-green you like, you will then top off these greens with slices of fresh organic strawberries and a homemade rhubarb strawberry dressing. For the dressing we blended slices of fresh rhubarb and organic strawberries. We then combine four parts MCT oil to one part red wine vinegar. This homemade salad dressing is easy to make and a healthier alternative to bottled and commercial dressings. Almost all pre-packaged dressings, particularly the low fat variety, contain cheap and low-quality polyunsaturated oils: soy, cottonseed, corn and safflower. These oils are stripped of nutrients and become rancid due to either high-temperature or solvent extraction processes. Ingesting these oils can be extremely toxic to our bodies. That's why we’d like to share this simple-toss-and serve recipe with you! —The Avant-Garden
ounces organic micro-greens, bull’s blood beets
rhubarb stalks, for the dressing
pints organic strawberries, for the dressing
cup MCT oil
tablespoons organic red wine vinegar
teaspoon ground sweet basil
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon sea salt
Vitamix or standard food processor
small cutting knife
- Wash and dry all produce. Trim away the leaves and stalk ends of the rhubarb and remove the leaves from the strawberries.
- Place rhubarb and strawberry slices in food processor until finely chopped. Then slowly add 1/8 - 1/4 cups of cold water, thin the water as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Strain the rhubarb / strawberry juice over a mixing bowl, making sure to separate all the liquid from any remaining bits of produce.
- Add 1/2 cup of MCT oil and 2 1/2 Tablespoons of organic red wine vinegar. Season to taste with the sea salt, ground pepper and ground sweet basil. Whisk until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- The final step to this recipe is easy. Take your favorite serving bowl, combine the micro-greens and slices of fresh organic strawberries. Drizzle the dressing over the greens, enough to lightly coat. Toss to mix well and you are ready to serve, enjoy!