- Serves 6
This is originally a Gourmet.com recipe. I like to use homemade mayonnaise and lots of fresh, local vegetables. I also don't understand why everyone (Gourmet included) wants you to use plastic wrap to roll out your dough - I say go with wax paper instead. —MSCK - Liam
- Pie crust
all purpose flour
- Pie filling
1 1/2 cups
fresh chopped basil
fresh chopped cheese
grated cheddar cheese
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into 1 inch cubes and add to flour mixture, combining with your fingers to make a coarse meal.
- Gradually add whole milk to flour mixture, turning over with hands, until it is well mixed.
- Form a large ball with the dough, and then separate out into two halves.
- Place one half on a sheet of wax paper. Cover with another sheet of wax paper, and roll out into 12 inch circle. Repeat with other half and set aside.
- Lightly oil a 9 inch pie dish, and add one of the dough circles to the bottom of it.
- Wash, blanch, and peel the skin from the tomatoes. Slice tomatoes to desired thickness and place as first layer in the pie.
- Shuck the corn and cut corn off of the cob. Put the corn in a bowl, and set a bowl of water next to it. Dip your hand in the bowl of water, then run it through the corn to remove the silk (it will stick to your hand). Repeat as necessary to remove as much corn silk as possible. Add half of the corn to the pie over the tomatoes.
- Add half of the fresh basil and half of the chives.
- Repeat layer of tomatoes, corn, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add half of the cheddar cheese.
- Make the mayonnaise: to do this, whisk the egg yolk, mustard, and 1 tsp lemon juice together in a bowl. Then, very slowly and gradually drizzle the 3/4 cup olive oil into the bowl, while whisking, to create a good emulsion. Once you start getting the correct texture, you can add the oil slightly faster. When all the oil is added, whisk in the remaining 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Pour mayonnaise over top of the pie, spread evenly.
- Add second half of cheddar cheese.
- Take second dough circle and place over top of the pie. Make 4 vents in the top of the dough, and brush with melted butter.
- Bake in the oven at 400 F for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Enjoy as a side, an appetizer, a vegetarian main course, or however you so desire.