Inspired by a recipe in Victuals by Ronni Lundy and eaten throughout the Appalachians.
Inspired by a recipe in Victuals by Ronni Lundy and eaten throughout the Appalachians.—Ali Slagle
slices thick-cut bacon, cut into lardons
scallions, white and some green parts thinly sliced
tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Your favorite hot sauce
cups crisp salad greens (such as romaine, iceberg, or arugula—a mix or just one), torn into bite-size pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper
In This Recipe
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, then add the bacon and cook until the fat has rendered, about 5 minutes. Put the pieces of bacon on a paper towel-lined plate. Keep the grease in the pan.
- Turn the heat down to medium. Add the shallots and sauté until soft and fragrant, then add the scallions and do the same.
- Turn the heat to high and add the vinegar and a few dashes of hot sauce. Stir to combine and deglaze. Off the heat, add the leaves and toss gently, just until slightly wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the lettuce onto individual plates, drizzling any extra sauce over. Scatter the bacon over top. Add a fried or soft-boiled egg to each, if you like.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!