If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: fresh summer veg meets a big warm hug from your sweet southern grandmother. —Katherine Hysmith
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup grits
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ham steak, cut into small 1/4-inch or so cubes
- 1 cup fresh English peas, shelled
- 1 cup fresh pea tendrils and shoots, washed and patted dry
- extra shredded cheese for garnish
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the grits and turn the heat to low, simmering and stirring occasionally until the grits are thick and tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add the butter and cheese and stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover until ready to serve.
- In a hot cast iron skillet, add the ham cubes, browning on all edges, about 4 to 6 minutes. Add the fresh peas and sautee for another couple minutes until the peas are just tender.
- Assemble: Divide the grits between two shallow bowls. Top with additional shredded cheese, ham, peas, and a pinch of pea tendrils and shoots. Serve hot.