Author Notes: this recipe was whipped up as a tribute to its vivid color initially, little did I realize what a textural and flavor treat it would turn out to be. and the best part, it has a hearty concentration of healthy ingredients to boot! —Panfusine
cup purple forbidden rice
can condensed milk
cups low fat milk
teaspoon cardamom powder
cup chia seeds
cups mango puree
thinly sliced Pineapple as needed
- Rinse the chia seeds and immediately add them to the mango puree use a fork to whisk the mix so that the chia seeds do not clump together.. Allow the seeds to plump up overnight in the fridge.
- Rinse the forbidden rice multiple times with plenty of water and immerse completely to hydrate overnight.
- Drain the soaking liquid the following day, add the 2 cups of water bring to a boil and cook, covered on medium low heat until the rice grains can be squished completely when pressed between the thumb and index finger. this takes about 40-45 minutes. Mash with a spoon roughly.
- whisk the condensed milk and the regular low fat milk and heat on a medium flame. add the mashed forbidden rice . Using an immersion blender blend the rice until the mix turns a light purple/mauve shade. Add the cardamom powder and simmer for 10 more minutes to thicken the mixture and allow the cardamom flavor to combine. allow to cool and chill in the refrigerator.
- Heat a cast iron pan and place the thin pineapple slices on it. allow to caramelize on both sides. Cut into quarters.
- To assemble: Spoon the chilled rice pudding into 4 wine glasses and follow this layer with the chia seed/mango mixture. Top with a slice of the caramelized pineapple and serve chilled.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best No-Bake Desserts