This recipe is for vanilla cake doughnuts, but you can make them chocolate by subbing out 1/2 cup flour for 1/2 cup cocoa powder! Also: Check out the note of encouragement to try making them both and swirl them together (just one of the many fun ways to play with cake doughnuts, which are so wonderfully versatile)! —Erin Jeanne McDowell
- Prep time 50 minutes
- Cook time 20 minutes
- makes about 1 1/2 dozen doughnuts
(58 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
(60 g) vegetable or melted coconut oil
(150 g) granulated sugar
large (113 g) eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons
(360 g) all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons
freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
1 1/4 cups
(288 g) whole milk, at room temperature
Glazes or other finishes (optional, see step 9)
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Grease and flour two sets of doughnut pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter, oil, and sugar together until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg to combine.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined. Add 1/2 of the milk and mix until fully incorporated. Repeat, adding another 1/3 of the flour mixture, the remaining 1/2 of the milk, then finally the last of the flour. Mix until thoroughly incorporated, but do not overmix.
- Transfer the batter to a large piping bag and cut a 1/2-inch opening from the tip. Pipe the batter into the prepared molds, filling them about 3/4 of way to the top of the mold. Give the pans a few good taps on your work surface to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Bake the doughnuts until they spring back gently when touched and/or a toothpick inserted into the thickest part comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes inside the pan before inverting onto a cooling rack. Cool for at least 10 minutes more before glazing or finishing.
- NOTE: I love to make one batch of vanilla batter and one batch of chocolate batter and swirl them together! Pipe a small amount of vanilla batter in two quarters of each doughnut mold, and fill in the remaining two quarters with chocolate batter, then use a toothpick to swirl them together.
- Some finishing suggestions: Vanilla Glaze: Mix 3/4 cup (85 g) confectioners' sugar, 3 to 4 tablespoons (45-60 g) heavy cream or milk (enough to make a runny glaze), and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Chocolate Glaze: Mix 3/4 cup (85 g) confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons (14 g) dark cocoa powder, and 4 to 5 (60-75 g) tablespoons milk or cream. Matcha White Chocolate Glaze: Melt 1 1/2 cups (255 g) white chocolate and add 2 tablespoons (30 g) melted coconut oil and 1 tablespoon (9 g) matcha powder. Stir to combine. Powdered: Toss in confectioners' sugar while still warm to coat. Cinnamon-Sugar: Toss in cinnamon sugar while still warm to coat.