This recipe has a lot of steps but none of them are difficult and the time is definitely worth it. The tomatoes are sweet, the crust buttery and the cheeses add a saltiness. I've served it as a appetizer for dinner parties and as a side with a salad and chicken for family dinners. —Jennifer Meier Groves
- Serves 6-8
- Roasted Tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
all purpose flour
cubed, cold, unsalted butter
ice cold water
whole milk or cream
basil or thyme leaves, chopped
- Roasted Tomatoes
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a large rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper and brush the pan with a little oil.
- Slice the tomatoes in about 1/2 inch slices and place them on the baking sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, and honey and drizzle over the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes lightly with salt and pepper.
- Roast the tomatoes for 45-50 minutes or until they start to get dark around the edges.
- To make the dough: In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the butter and pulse until butter is cut into small pieces.
- With the processor running, slowly add the water 1 T at a time until a dough forms.
- Turn out the dough and knead it briefly on a floured surface to bring it together into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes.
- To make the tart: Let the tart dough sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to make it easier to roll out.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a round 11-12 inch circle and transfer to the lined cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle half of the Parmesan onto the dough, leaving a 2 inch boarder.
- Top with the roasted tomatoes followed by the remaining Parmesan, feta and thyme or basil.
- Pleat and fold the edges of the dough around the filling.
- Brush with the egg mixture and bake for 40 minutes.
- Make ahead note: I have made this tart one day ahead, adding the egg wash right before baking, and it turns out beautifully.