Recipe for stuffed mushrooms using bulgur, basil and lemon zest. Includes how to make your bulgur. Great recipe for whole grain stuffed mushrooms. —Palouse Brand
- Serves 4
hard red winter wheat berries
1 1/2 ounces
extra virgin olive oil
cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
In This Recipe
- Place water in large bowl.
- Add wheat and allow to soak until the liquid is absorbed and wheat is tender, approximately 1 hour.
- Thoroughly drain and pat wheat berries dry.
- Spread drained wheat berries thinly on a baking or cookie sheet and place in oven at 200° until dry enough to crack easily, usually about an hour. Crack wheat in a grain mill, blender or with a zip lock bag and a rolling pin.
- Sift out the smallest flour-like bits (they will form a paste you don’t want in your recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a sauce pan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add the bulgur and a pinch of salt. Cover, turn heat off and let the bulgur steam for 20 minutes. When bulgur is soft, fluff with a fork or drain if necessary and return to sauce pan, fluff with a fork, set aside and cover until ready to use (see below).
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes, mince the shallot and garlic, zest and juice the lemon, and tear the basil leaves – set each individually aside.
- Coat mushroom caps with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, place on baking sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes. Turn mushrooms over and bake for another 5-6 minutes.
- In a small pan heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, basil, a large pinch of lemon zest-about 1 ½ tbsp., and juice from one lemon. Cook for 1 minute, then fluff into prepared bulgur. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the bulgur filling and top with finely grated parmesan cheese. Place back in the oven and cook until the cheese is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a very large pan heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat, add minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring continually. Add spinach and wilt it, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if you desire.
- Serve by placing a layer of wilted spinach on each plate, set the bulgur filled mushroom on top of the spinach, and dot with cherry tomatoes.
- Our stuffed mushroom recipe is really a pretty balanced meal, not to mention, a very filling meal.