Author Notes: Recipe for stuffed mushrooms using bulgur, basil and lemon zest. Includes how to make your bulgur. Great recipe for whole grain stuffed mushrooms. —Palouse Brand
cup hard red winter wheat berries
ounces baby spinach
ounce basil, torn
ounces sun-dried tomatoes
cup parmesan cheese
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
In This Recipe
- Place water in large bowl.
- Add wheat and allow to soak until the liquid is absorbed and wheat is tender, approximately 1 hour.
- Thoroughly drain and pat wheat berries dry.
- Spread drained wheat berries thinly on a baking or cookie sheet and place in oven at 200° until dry enough to crack easily, usually about an hour. Crack wheat in a grain mill, blender or with a zip lock bag and a rolling pin.
- Sift out the smallest flour-like bits (they will form a paste you don’t want in your recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a sauce pan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add the bulgur and a pinch of salt. Cover, turn heat off and let the bulgur steam for 20 minutes. When bulgur is soft, fluff with a fork or drain if necessary and return to sauce pan, fluff with a fork, set aside and cover until ready to use (see below).
- Chop the sun-dried tomatoes, mince the shallot and garlic, zest and juice the lemon, and tear the basil leaves – set each individually aside.
- Coat mushroom caps with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, place on baking sheet and bake for 5-6 minutes. Turn mushrooms over and bake for another 5-6 minutes.
- In a small pan heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, basil, a large pinch of lemon zest-about 1 ½ tbsp., and juice from one lemon. Cook for 1 minute, then fluff into prepared bulgur. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the bulgur filling and top with finely grated parmesan cheese. Place back in the oven and cook until the cheese is golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a very large pan heat 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat, add minced garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring continually. Add spinach and wilt it, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if you desire.
- Serve by placing a layer of wilted spinach on each plate, set the bulgur filled mushroom on top of the spinach, and dot with cherry tomatoes.
- Our stuffed mushroom recipe is really a pretty balanced meal, not to mention, a very filling meal.