If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Refreshing healthy summer salad. Goes well with baked fish. Low calorie and v. low carbs. Vegans, vegetarians and diabetics. —Frank
- 5 cucumbers
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dill weed
- 1 pinch generous, brown sugar (stevia for diabetics)
- 1/2 onion, red, chopped
- (freshly ground) black pepper
- Finely chop half an onion, preferably a red one. Add to your salad bowl.
- Peel and grate 5 cucumbers. Add to your salad bowl, covering the onions.
- Sprinkle some salt over the top, no more than half a teaspoon. Let it rest in the fridge. This will dehydrate the cucumbers a bit and lend the salad all the salt it needs.
- After ca. 30 minutes, using one hand to keep the cucumber/onion from slipping out of the salad bowl, pour off the liquid. You can press the mixture a bit to squeeze out more of the watery liquid.
- Season the salad with the dill weed, the sugar and black pepper to taste and finish off by adding the vinegar and olive oil. Toss and let settle for another 10-15 minutes.
- Toss again and serve. Good with baked fish, fried fish or barbequed foods.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Tomato Showstopper