If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Feature cabbage in this pasta dish with fennel, pancetta, onion, red chili flakes and parmesan —Vicky | Things I Made Today
- 8 ounces pancetta, cubed
- 1 large or 2 small fennel bulbs, cored and sliced thin
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- pinch of red chili flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds savory cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons unslated butter
- 1/2 pound whole wheat penne pasta, dry
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving at least ½ cup of the pasta water for sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or dutch oven, cook pancetta over medium high heat until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add in fennel and onion and cook until they soften, about 5 more minutes. Add olive oil, toss to coat. Next, add in red chili flakes and cabbage, working in batches if needed. Cook cabbage for 10-12 minutes, until the cabbage has softened and started to brown.
- Reduce heat to low, add butter and toss to coat. When pasta is ready, add it to cabbage. Pour in pasta water, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, stirring constantly, until a nice sauce starts to form. Add in ¾ cup Parmesan and toss to coat once more.
- Season with remaining Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.