If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a modern, vegan take on a traditional Indian dish. It's a spicy, hearty, Indian curry dish topped with fresh arugula and served in a pita pocket with vegan sour cream. You can make this dish in 20 minutes with just one pot! —Jyothi / Thefriendlyepicurean.com
- 14 ounces package extra firm or firm tofu, excess water removed and crumbled
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounces chickpeas
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 pieces pita pockets cut in half
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- Wrap tofu in a clean towel for about 10 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan.
- Add onions and cook for 2 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Next, add turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, ginger, and salt and cook for 1 minute.
- You may need to add an extra 1 tbs of oil at this point if mixture appears dry.
- Next, add crumbled tofu and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add tomatoes, chick peas, and lemon juice and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Finally, add garam masala and extra salt to taste.
- Fill each pita pocket half with channa masala and top with arugula. Serve with vegan sour cream (optional).
- Eat immediately to keep pita pockets from getting soggy.