Author Notes: I often make this for a quick breakfast with a friend. You may also use an equivalent measure of grape tomatoes, halved. —creamtea
tablespoons decent olive oil
small shallot, minced
Medium, flavorful tomatoes, diced (the red-brown 4 inch diameter "black velvet" variety work well
salt and pepper to taste
slices sourdough or peasant bread, toasted
- In a medium frypan, heat oil on low flame Add minced shallot and saute until almost translucent (avoid burning).
- Add diced tomatoes. They will release their juices; cook until thoroughly softened and the sauce thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Break eggs into a glass and add to the sauce; at this point you can cover lightly. Keep checking until done to your preference (I like a runny yolk)
- Meanwhile, toast a couple of slices of good bread.
- Divvy up and serve the eggs and tomatoes over the toast. Season with more salt and pepper as desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pan Dinner