If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After one bite of this dish I knew I had to try to make it at home. It starts with a layer of chicken fried rice topped with a mild coconut curry sauce and finished with a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Then everything goes under the broiler until it gets all bubbly and gooey. I know it's kind of strange to have cheese on an otherwise Asian dish, but it works so well in this case. This is pure comfort food, my friends.
I adapted Lady and Pups' Macao's Portuguese Fried Rice Gratin by substituting marinated chicken for fish and making a few other adjustments based on what I had on hand and personal taste preferences. —The Cooking of Joy
For the chicken and rice
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2-3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups day-old cooked rice, refrigerated
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- Kosher salt and white pepper, to taste
- Mix the chicken, cornstarch, soy sauce, and rice wine together and let marinate for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat and cook the chicken until lightly browned. Save 2/3 of it for the fried rice and finely chop the rest for the sauce.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat in a large pan and add the beaten eggs. Immediately add the rice and mix to coat. Once the rice is heated through, add the scallions, salt, and white pepper to taste. Add the reserved chicken and mix until even. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the curry sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 13.5 ounces can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups mix of shredded mozzarella and provolone, divided
- Use a small blender to puree the oil, shallot, and garlic cloves. Mix with the grated ginger and butter and cook over medium heat in a saucepan for a few minutes until very fragrant. Add the curry powder, onion powder, coconut, and flour continue to cook for a few more minutes to toast the spices. Whisk in the coconut milk and water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until thickened. Stir in the chopped chicken and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Preheat the broiler. Transfer the fried rice to a buttered casserole dish or oven safe pan. You can also use multiple smaller dishes. Pour the curry sauce over the rice and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Broil for a few minutes until browned in spots and bubbly. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Now and Later