If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was a little kid, growing up in western New York state, there were 3 staples in my fall/winter comfort food repertoire. The first was ravioli, the second hearty soups and the third was chicken pot pie. As an adult, gluten and dairy allergies had pretty much stripped my diet of all of these wonderful childhood delights. So last fall I decided I would try and come up with a decent version that would allow me to channel my inner 6 year old on a crisp evening. I have to say, I think I have succeeded! —nycnomad
Turkey Pot Pie Filling
- 3 Carrots
- 1 cup Frozen Green Peas
- 1 Potato (Medium)
- 1 Organic Turkey Breast
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 3 Crimini Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Arrowroot
- 2 cups Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Sage
- 2 tablespoons Soy Free Vegan Mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Poach the turkey breast (or cutlets) in the 2 cups of water, about 5 minutes. Remove the turkey from the water (do not discard the water) and allow it to cool on a cutting board.
- While the turkey is cooling, dice the carrots, celery, potato and mushrooms.
- Shred the turkey. Add the turkey,chopped vegetables and peas to the rectangular baking dish, mixing as you distribute them in the dish. I used a ceramic baking dish, unlined (6"x10").
- To the poaching liquid, add 2 Tbsp of arrowroot and 2 Tbsp of vegan mayo. Heat over a medium flame until it thickens and then add salt, pepper and ground sage. It will be very thick but the vegetables will release a lot of water while they cook, thinning it out considerably.
- Pour the gravy over the vegetable and turkey mixture. Cover with a lid or aluminum foil and bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350F.
Paleo Herb Biscuits
- 2 cups Almond Meal
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 5 Egg whites
- 5 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1/4-1/2 Fresh Herbs (Thyme, Rosemary, Sage)
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 pinch Salt
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until it forms a thick paste.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven and remove the aluminum foil.
- With your hands form the dough into 2-3" biscuit rounds and lay them gently across the top of the pot pie mixture.
- Return the dish to the oven and bake at 350F for 10- 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown around the edges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall