Author Notes: CORN ON THE COB BUT OFF THE COB I started with the premise that summer corn is so sweet that it would make good ice cream (wierd but probably not horrible tasting). So, I worked on cream, sugar, egg and butter ratios until I came up with this recipe which is surprisingly smooth and sweet without being cloyingly sweet. I hope that you like my version. I tried to keep it smooth, simple and rich...and the color...it is like yellow cashmere! - dymnyno
(shown with a dollop of red pepper jelly) —dymnyno
Food52 Review: This ice cream is a good one for beginners to tackle -- it's a relatively simple, basic process, elevated by a seriously cool concept. I ended up steeping the corn and cobs in the milk mixture for about an hour, which, together with a pinch of salt, yielded a very corn-y flavor. I enjoyed this most when I topped it with a smidge of maple syrup -- the perfect foil for the buttery, rich corn flavor of the ice cream. - queenie_nyc —The Editors
Serves: about a quart
2 ears YELLOW corn
2 cups milk( I used non fat)
1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup sugar (ultrafine)
4 egg yolks(large)
4 tbs clarified butter
- Cut the kernels from the cobs.
- Put the kernels and the cobs in a large pot.
- Add the milk, cream and sugar.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn off the heat and let the mixture infuse for at least 30 minutes. Remove the cobs.
- Pour the mixture into a food processor or blender and liquify until smooth . Then strain the mixture through a sieve and return to the pot.
- Whisk the egg yolks.
- Heat the corn mixture and then spoon a large spoonful into the egg yolks slowly while whisking the yolks.(temper)
- Slowly add the mixture back into the pot and cook for a few minutes as it thickens.
- Add the clarified butter and continue to stir.
- Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Then using an ice cream maker , follow directions to complete making ice cream. It looks gorgeous with a dollop of bright red jalapeno jam.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mash-Up Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn Recipe