If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fall means it's time to break out the wild rice. This week I've combined it with crisp Cortland apples, sweet potatoes, kale, pecans and finished with an apple cider vinaigrette that bursts with flavor. —Oat&Sesame
Rice & Vegetables
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 2-3 dashes potato seasonings: dried parsley, cinnamon, salt and pepper (a few dashes of each)
- 2 Cortland apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1.5 cups pecans, toasted
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by cooking the wild rice. Bring 1 cup dry rice to a boil with 3 cups water and ½ tsp salt. Cover and simmer 45 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside. While the rice is cooking prepare the rest of the ingredients and the dressing.
- For the Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a mason jar, shake until incorporated, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add chopped sweet potato toss to coat with olive oil. Season with parsley, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Sauté 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toast pecans at 350F for 5 minutes until starting to smell toasty.
- To assemble the salad, mix everything in a large bowl. Topping with pecans and saving a few apple slices to garnish the top.
- *If not serving right away, wait to add the dressing to the remainder of the salad. I like to add the dressing to each individual serving.