Author Notes: The orange vinaigrette adds just the right pop to the glorious Fall flavors of squash, red wheat berries and cranberries. —Palouse Brand
cups hard red winter wheat berries
cups butternut squash, 1” cubes
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
zested orange peel
tablespoon maple syrup
cup fresh parsley, chopped
cup dried cranberries
cup almonds (optional)
In This Recipe
- Bring water to a boil and add wheat berries. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until soft, about 45-50 mins. and drain.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Toss the squash with 1 tbsp. olive oil, place on a baking sheet and roast for approximately 20-30 min. Cool on paper towel to soak up any extra olive oil.
- Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette. Mix orange zest, orange juice, 1 tbsp. olive oil and syrup together.
- In large bowl combine wheat berries, roasted squash, vinaigrette, parsley and cranberries. Cool down in refrigerator – this may add a little to the total time.
- To serve, top with sliced almonds (optional).