If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hearty, rich in flavor and textures make this soup a one-of-a-kind dish. —Grace O
- 2 cups diced kabocha squash or pumpkin, seeds removed and rind on
- 1 quart quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegan)
- 3/4 cup diced eggplant
- 9 pieces okra, cut in halves or thirds
- 3/4 cup cut string beans
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced medium tomato
- 1/4 pound flaked smoked fish or 1 Tbs. fish sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh moringa leaves or 1 Tbs. moringa powder dissolved in 3-4 Tbs. warm water
- 1 pinch Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, boil the squash or pumpkin in the chicken stock for 10 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, okra, and string beans, and boil the vegetables until they are tender, about 7–10 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onion and stir-fry until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato to the sauté pan and continue cooking for 3 minutes. Add the flaked fish or fish sauce and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in the sauté mixture. Add the moringa leaves or powder. Season with the salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory (Winter) Squash Recipe