If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My version of sagebites has a bit of a bite to it. Some of the ones I have illustrated are the extreme version. What I suggest is to layer your whole anchovy on top of your sage leaf in the proportion of 1:3 (illustrated in one close up), rather than the one closer to the 1:1 ratio pictured. These bites with a bite make a wonderful snack, a blonde pizza topping, or soup addition. MyCommunalTable reminded me of these; my version is a bit different. These pack quite a punch in a tiny package. Let your imagination rule the contents to customize these delectable morsels. If I had access to white anchovies, I would use them. Do use a high grade anchovy packed in oil in any case. I have many versions of sagebites, but these use corn on the outside, as well as the inside. I have thought of creating these in different hues. By mixing the achiote with blue cornmeal, you will create my purple sage variation. Bluesage is simply blue cornmeal. Whitesage is with white corn meal. These are tiny bites, so you will want more than one. There are many variations possible without anchovies. Proscuitto, pancetta, cheese varieties are just some other options. But even people who think they don't like anchovies can like these. Select some interesting tasting corn kernels which you can sautee or roast in gomasio. I meant to include the spikey native cilantro leaves cut on top, but they are now gone. These bites are miniature art works, each one a custom design. I don't try to make them uniform, but each one unique. —Sagegreen
- 20 large fresh sage leaves
- 20 small anchovies or anchovy pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5 tablespoons corn meal, blue is lovely if you have it
- 2 teaspoons achiote (annato, cumin, black pepper, allspice and cloves)
- dashes kosher salt
- dashes fresh milled black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped haberno or jalapeno peppers
- 3 tablespoons preferably pan sauteed or roasted interesting corn kernels in
- 1 teaspoon black gomasio (black sesame and sea salt)
- 1 tablespoon additional options including crumpled feta, chopped pimento, pinion pine nuts, etc.
- olive oil for saute
- wedge of lime with serving
- Lay your sage leaves down on a cutting board.
- Layer an anchovy on top. It is best to select one that is 1/3 the size of the leaf, unless you really want to showcase the anchovy, as shown in one example.
- On top add a small amount of chopped hot pepper and some corn kernels, which were sauteed or roasted with black gomasio . Add your other additions as appropriate such as spices and feta cheese. Spikey native cilantro is great fun to add.
- Roll up the composition and dip in a beaten egg.
- Next roll this in blue corn meal seasoned with of achiote, plain blue cornmeal seasoned with salt and black pepper, or white cornmeal seasoned with gomasio. Place on toothpicks if you want these as hors d'oeuvres.
- Saute (with the toothpick up) in a very shallow amount of olive oil. Serve warm with lime wedges to squeeze on before eating as a snack.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn Recipe